Besides the fact I’m dying to read Wally Lamb’s new book…
1) Boo Boo Buddies, or as Lil calls them Boo Boo Bunnies, are the cure-all, savior for any injury, big or small, or even any random tantrum, big or small. Those three little words, Boo Boo Bunny, have become mommy & daddy’s best friend. As soon as the slightest incident occurs, before the tears begin to flow, I can say “Should I get Boo Boo Bunny?” and she’s immediately feeling better. And it’s even better in the middle of a meltdown, to see her smile through the pouty, watery red face when I pull one out. BBB’s are the cutest little freezer gel packs that are soft so they can mold to whatever part of the body has the boo boo. I’m telling you they work every time! I’m not an expert, just a mommy and this much I know.
2) Routines suck! Kids need them, I need them in order to deal with my kids, but they suck because they don’t last. I don’t know why this is, but it’s a fact…as soon as parents develop a routine with one or multiple kids, SOMETHING will happen to screw it all up. I myself have just experienced a recent routine screw up, hence the bitter tone. About a month ago, when Lexi turned 4 months, we started fell into a great routine with her. She was sleeping through the night more or less, without needing night feedings. We took our Pediatrician’s advice, cause we take his word for gospel pretty much. And it worked. It always works…until of course any combination of the following happen: Daylight Savings ends, teething begins, baby’s first cold strikes, there’s a full moon, mommy parties at a Madonna concert, baby gets stopped up from trying solids, or frenetic energy fills the world when Obama becomes our next President of the US of A. We Godwins experienced every last one of those items in the past week and a half and it’s been really crappy a real pleasure, let me tell you. The happy, sleep filled nights we were blessed to have for 3 weeks just went to h*ll in a hand basket. The good news is that sleepless nights aren’t forever, they come to an end too. It’s an ebb and flow, and that’s what I know.
3) I am my mother (The fact that I just said “Hell in a handbasket” in the previous segment is proof in the pudding…see…). Now, I don’t say that in a negative way, I love my mom. She is one of the most energetic, vibrant, caring women I know. I can only hope to have some of those characteristics. But I’m talking about those mom idiosyncrasies…you know, the traits that used to drive me crazy when I was growing up.
I’m losing my hearing – I’m at least at a 35 on the tv volume monitor. Now I crummy for calling her “Miracle Ear”.
I am getting forgetful – Where did I put my keys? Did I already make that phone call I wanted to make? What’s your name again? Now I’m feeling guilty for introducing my friends with the wrong name just to mess with her.
I comment on red heads….In a good way. I feel the need to point them out and say “look at that beautiful red hair”. My mom has done this my whole life. Apparently her strawberry blond hair paved her way into the Redhead Club and she feels the need to point them out wherever we are. It’s a pride thing.
My bunions…I will go no further. (Fog City Lolita just mentioned bunions this week in her blog too. Why are they so gross? and painful? and yet a treat to poke fun at?)
I say absurd things like the aforementioned. Other noteworthies… “I’ve got a bee in my bonnet”, “Don’t get snippy with me” or my favorite, “Holy Mackerel.”
In all these ways and too many more to account for here, I am my mother. This much I know, oh, you betcha.
4) It’s smart to dvr Ellen…I never check the listings to see who her guests will be, but when I have a few moments to myself I scroll through my Ellen and Oprah recordings to see if there are any must see’s. Many times I will delete recordings without even watching however yesterday was a special day for Mama Mary. My one and only, top of “the list”, “mom’s allowed to have one celebrity crush” was on. You guessed it…Justin himself! I tried unsuccessfully not to scream, I didn’t want to wake the girls. I needed the moment to myself. Just me and Justin. It was awesome. Sisters…take it from me…put her on your tivo/dvr queue immediately…you might just get a dose of your favorite mancake when you least expect it. (Mrs. G at my fave blog, Derfwad Manor, shares a piece of Mancake everyday, check her out.) I’m a genius to dvr Ellen and this much I know, fo sho!
5) I need to ALWAYS pre-make my coffee at night. This much I know…so I’m off to do it now.
Filed under: Cool Mom Things, Parentinng Tips & Tricks, Random Thoughts | Tagged: Family, justin timberlake, moms, parenthood, Random | 2 Comments »